From EssenceRO Wiki
Unable to put points in Skills
- If you can't add skills as a 3rd Job, then use the Platinum Skill NPC in Old Payon to resolve this. It'll let you add points afterwards.
- If you've earned more than enough Skill Points to max out all of your current skills, go to the person who Skill Point Remover, near Platinum Skill NPC. Then go to Job Master and get your job. You won't be able to get Skill points back.
- Be sure you are spending all of your first class points on first class skills, and second class points on second class skills (or first class). To open up your final skill tree, you must have (CurrentJobLevel-1) points remaining.
- Make sure you're using the latest client. If you are using a client older than 5.0, you will not be able to see your skills properly.
- In some cases, getting a Skill Reset from the Reset Girl will fix this.
If you're getting a blank page after trying to register, or a page filled with symbols and weird letters, then you should see if you're not using any software that could be interfering with the site. BitDefender 2009 and Norton Antivirus/Internet Security are known programs to cause issues registering, and even patching. So make sure you disable these two.
Client Immediately Closes Without Error
Client won't open. No errors, crashes, or anything else of that nature. The client just closes.
- Check the data folder residing in your RO folder (default path is C:\Program Files\Gravity\RO). The contents should only be some files ending in .eot and a single file named UserKeys.lua. If there is anything else in that folder, rename the folder from data to something else, like dataold and download the Font Files optional download from the Downloads page.
- Open Setup.exe in your RO folder, and check to make sure the first option is neither blank nor Direct3D Hal, and the second ends in x16 (for example, 640x480x16).
- If neither works, try full screen then disable it, sometimes that works.
- If nothing seems to work, then it might be sound related, disable the sound in your Setup.exe and try again. Update your sound drivers if this solution works.
- Data Execution Prevention (DEP) might be shutting down the program before it even starts - hence the blinking out effect.
- Turning off DEP for Windows XP users:
- Click Start and select Control Panel.
- From the Control Panel icons, select System.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- In the Performance region select Settings.
- Select the Data Execution Prevention tab in the dialog box that opens.
- Select Turn on DEP for all programs and services except for those I select.
- Click Add. The open file dialog box will open.
- Browse and select your application, and click Open.
- Click OK to save your changes.
- Restart your computer for changes to fully take effect.
- Turning off DEP for or Windows Vista users:
- Open the Windows Control Panel
- Click on System (If you do not see this, click on classic view on the top left)
- Click on Advanced System Settings
- In the Advanced tab, click on Settings under Performance
- In the Data Execution Prevention tab select Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:
- In the list add the EssenceRO executable and EssenceRO Patcher executable.
- Select Apply/OK and you are done!
Error: "init d3d or grf has problem"
RO is not detecting your graphics card/drivers. To fix this, open Setup.exe in your RO folder. You should see something in the first two drop down menus.
In this picture, these are Direct3D HAL and 640 x 480 x 16. If not, please set them to your appropriate Video Card and Screen Resolution. If you're not sure what your video (graphics) card is, select the ones near the bottom that do not mention Direct3D at all. If you can't see any other choices other than Direct3D, you might need to update your Video Drivers or DirectX.
Forgot password, or wrong password errors
First try to reset your password. If that doesn't work, post under with your account name and email address attached to the account. If you don't remember the email, you need to provide character information, including their names, classes, base/job levels, guilds, and notable items on the account.
Screenshots not shown in folder
- To temporarily display them, select 'Compatibility Files' in the folder. It should display all of the screenshots.
- Try going to your ScreenShot folder and inside hit the ALT key. That will temporarily pop up the menu at the top. Goto Tools > Folder Options and click the View tab. Check the settings you have now and you can also try doing Restore Defaults which might help.
- If you right-click the folder and goto Properties it will pull up that folder's properties dialog box. Click the Security tab and click the Edit button. Another window should pop up and here is how mine is set:
- Everyone: All Allow boxes are checked (special permissions is dulled out/unchecked).
- CREATOR OWNER: No boxes are checked (special permissions is dulled out/checked).
- SYSTEM: All Allow boxes are checked but dulled out (special permissions is dulled out/unchecked).
- Administrators (Name-PC\Administrators): Same as SYSTEM.
- Users (Name-PC\Users): Same as SYSTEM.
- TrustedInstaller: List folder contents and Special permissions is checked but dulled out.
Screenshots look weird
- Rightclick on EssenceRO.exe
- Mark Disable Visual Themes
- Mark Disable Display scaling on high DPI
Do the same for Essence Patcher.exe / EssenceRO Patcher.exe
Solution 2: Changing the resolution
Change the resolution of your RO to one that isn't widescreen. (640x480, 1024x768, 1280x1024)
Solution 3: Run in Full Screen
Try running your game in Full Screen mode.
- Make sure you registered on the Control Panel. Registering on the forums does not give you an account for the game.
- Check that you typed your username correctly. Note that usernames are case-sensitive (Logging in as "Bob" is not the same as "bob").
- If you have other RO servers installed to the same folder, they may interfere. Remove "sclientinfo.xml" from your data folder if you have one, and check to see if you're using the correct data.ini file.
Trojan Alert (False Positive)
Some Anti-virus programs may flag Essence Patcher.exe and EssenceRO Patcher.exe as a trojan. This is a false positive caused by a code inside the patcher.
Anti-virus programs that may flag the files as a trojan:
- AVG (Was fixed in recent updates)
- Norton Antivirus / Internet Security
- Avira Antivir
Solution: If the EssenceRO files are the only infected items, add the following files to the safelist (Usually called Exceptions in most AVs):
- EssenceRO Patcher.exe
- Essence Patcher.exe
You should Scan the rest of your computer, maybe you really have been infected.
Game resolution is stuck
This happens when the system won't let you access the registry, or if your RO folder is located in the Program Files folder in Windows Vista/Windows 7.
- Make sure you are on an Administrator account if you're using Windows Vista or Windows 7.
- Rick-click on Setup.exe, EssenceRO.exe and EssenceRO Patcher.exe and check the Run as Administrator checkbox.
If this does not work, you can manually change it by modifying the registry.
Changing it manually through the Windows Registry
Warning: Only follow these steps when you know what you're doing inside the Registry.
If your desired resolution is not found in Setup.exe setting you can manually change it by editing the registry.
- Open the Registry Editor by going to Start, Run, and then typing regedit
- Navigate to:
- Right-click on HEIGHT, and choose Modify
- Select Decimal in this window, and change the value to the desired height.
- Do the same for the WIDTH value
Cannot see all characters
This will happen if you're not using the latest client. Make sure to get the latest client (currently 5.0) to fix this.